Technology has been used so effectively to distance us from the natural world that it seems counterintuitive to report how tech is actually making us more effective outdoorsmen and women.
But that’s precisely what’s happening with the new HuntFish OH mobile app created to help Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Wildlife connect with its customers, and for those customers to connect with hunting, fishing, and outdoor recreation opportunities across the Buckeye State.
Ultimately, this is the story of how a third-party app, Sovereign Sportsman Solutions’ Powderhook app, was reimagined as an official app for a state agency, paving the way for continued mobile breakthroughs Ohio customers.
“This past fall, we introduced the new HuntFish OH mobile app created with our partners at Sovereign Sportsman Solutions (S3) and Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation (RBFF),” says Division of Wildlife Chief Kendra Wecker. “We developed the app to make a great day outside even better with ease of purchasing and viewing licenses, submitting harvest reports, and accessing information and useful resources.”
Wecker notes that the app’s user-friendly design is boosting its popularity and its utility.
“We are pleased to work with partners that are aligned with us to serve the people and resources we care so deeply about,” says Wecker.
“The app had an 86 percent download conversion rate, meaning that 86/100 people who found the app downloaded it,” says Eric Dinger, Vice President of Marketing and Customer Engagement at S3 and founder of the original Powderhook. “I’ve worked with a lot of apps in the past, and that’s one of the highest conversion rates I’ve seen.”
Here are what HuntFish OH users say about the app:
“This app is easy to navigate, and I appreciate that it has the current hunting and fishing regs on it. It Is also more convenient to have the ability to pull up my licenses right away if needed.”
“Brings the Ohio Division of Wildlife into the Modern World: Engaging with a whole new generation of hunters. Great to see and looking forward to the coming updates.”
“Looks great and easy to use!”
“Looks clean and modern. I would highly recommend every Ohio hunter and fisherman to have this on their phone.”
The cumulative lift from conversion rates, ratings, and reviews has placed HuntFish Ohio to #117 on the list of the top apps, and as more Ohio hunters and anglers use the tool, it should climb in the charts. This new and innovative tool continues to succeed as hunters, anglers, and shooters integrate it into their adventures.
Ian Burrow, one of S3’s business analysts, is proud of the work that resulted in the HuntFish OH app because it simplifies common tasks like buying licenses and figuring out where to hunt and fish.
“It makes life easier for hunters and it helps get people outdoors,” says Burrow. “Hunters, anglers, and recreational shooters now have access to many valuable resources and features at the tip of their fingers while they are enjoying Ohio’s great outdoors.”
Some of those features include:
- Customer account: Creating a customer account on the app allows hunters, anglers, and shooters to create or sync with their current Ohio Wildlife License System account.
- License and tag purchases: The app remembers users’ information for a quick and easy checkout, simplifying the purchase of permits, licenses, and stamps right from their phone.
- License access: Users can display their current and past licenses and permits on their phones, so they don’t have to worry about remembering to bring their paper licenses with them on hunting and fishing trips.
- Game check: Even without a connection, users can submit their game check from their phone and obtain a confirmation code once the phone reestablishes service.
- Maps: The app provides interactive maps with directions and information on Ohio’s public lands, boat ramps, lakes, shooting ranges, and license agents. These maps include depth contours of Ohio lakes, public parks, wildlife areas, and shooting preserves.
- Resources: HuntFish OH provides valuable resources such as contact information, including phone numbers and directions, the latest hunting and fishing digests, and other popular resources for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Weather: Users can get current weather conditions and sunrise/sunset tables before heading out into the wild.